perjantai 25. lokakuuta 2013

Course selection and 1st week of lectures

Almost three weeks have passed since my last script. German lecture (torture) is happily behind, rolling all the responsibility of my lingual progress into my own hands, and finally lectures and sports have begun.

The final exam of German course was partially simplified which was very disappointing yet maybe necessary since I screwed up my text production and maybe grammar part also. The results come on 4th of November. At the moment I'm practicing my German daily at home with help of Quizlet.com and by reading old school books and watching some TV.

About course selection.  I made my final choices and mapping on Sunday evening, last day before semester start. It was rather time consuming since courses have to be checked from Modulehandbücher(pdf) one by one and exam dates (the list is in German and don't have course codes, so if you use English handbook as I did, it's some excess work to trace back the German course names from German handbook, so better list both names in first place or only German one) ensured from separate list. This is very important since many courses have their exams on the very same date and even in the case they are not, it's smart move to have some time between the exams to be able to prepare. I've heard some rumors that it's possible to ask for oral exam and it's individually decided by the responsible teacher. Maximum grade to get from oral exam is "pass". In addition, I had to discard maybe 50% of my initial seems-interesting-course-list due to overlap of lecture hours. What I ended up with, was 6 courses of which 2 are in German and of which one is intensive course lectured in end November. I also attended one interesting course in German as extra as I don't have any classes on Monday otherwise. It has overlapping exam date but I may yet ask for the oral exam. Here you don't register for courses, only for exams. I.e. one may just walk into interesting lectures and stay or leave.

My current course list seems like:

-Real Estate Economics and Sustainability Part 1: Basics and Valuation (german)
-Basics of Liberalized Energy Markets
-Supply Chain Management in der Automobilindustrie (german)
-Business and IT Service Management
-Management Accounting 2
-Entrepreneurship

So, something quite different from Finance or Economics, because I feel these have far more to offer for me: a great opportunity to broaden my business knowledge.

This far the lectures have been good. All the lecturers are capable, seemingly experienced speakers. German has been clear though very fast. I was able to understand maybe 50-70% of what lecturers said, but in addition both courses have good downloadable materials. And I also recorded the lectures with my phone if I find interest to listen to them again. The pace of lectures feels quite much faster than in Lappeenranta, where I quite often relied on self-studying to avoid death by boredom.

Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti